School of Computer Science
COP 5611: Operating Systems Design Principles
Instructor: Prof. Euripides Montagne
Office: CSB 239 Email: email@example.com
TTH 3:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m.
GTA: Xingbo Gao
CC1 203, firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Wednesday, 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- 4/17/05: Please send your presentation slides to
the TA by the Midnight April 17th if you haven't done so. Penalties as much
as 50% off would apply if the slides are not received by the indicated data.
Refer to Presentation Slides to
check the latest posts.
- 4/14/05: Check grades for assignment #2.
- 4/2/05: Download OBJ1.c and OBJ2.c.
Now you only need to implement objective 3 and 4.
- 4/1/05: IMPORTANT: Check
to see the status of homework #2 submission. Contact the TA for
- 3/30/05: Project due at midnight
(11:59pm) Sunday April 17th. You only need to implement the objective
1 through objective 4.
- 3/22/05: Presentation Slides posted as well.
If you have done your presentation, please send your slides to email@example.com.
- 3/21/05: homework #2 (in pdf)
posted. See the homeworks section.
- 2/24/05: Grades for homework #1 is posted.
- 2/15/05: Click here to see the
latest presentation schedule (in html).
- 2/8/05: suggested reading list was added.
- 1/26/05: homework #1 (in word and pdf)
posted. See the homeworks section.
- 1/25/05: notes on processes management (in ppt
and pdf) (draft) posted.
- 1/25/05: notes on interrupt handling (in ppt)
- 1/18/05: notes on interrupt handling (in pdf)
are under the lecture section.
- 1/13/05: syllabus is posted.
here (in pdf)
- A. Silberschatz , P. Galvin, and G. Gagne, "operating System Concepts"
John Wiley & Sons, 7th Edition, 2005.
- John Lions "Lions' Commentary on Unix 6th edition with source code".
Other Recommended Books:
- Edward D. Lazowska, John Zahorjan, G. Scott Graham, Kenneth C. Sevcik, "Quantitative
System Performance: Computer System Analysis Using Queueing Network Models",
Prentice-Hall, 1984. Online version at: http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/lazowska/qsp/
- D. Mensace and V. Almeida, "Capacity Planning for Web Performance",
Prentice Hall, 1998.
- H. Levy, "Capability-Based Computer Systems", Digital Press, 1984.
Online version at: http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/levy/capabook/
- Christine Edgmon-Sirkhan and O'Connor Mathew: ATLAS (PowerPoint,
- Yi Ma and Hongliang Gao: Stack mechanism B5000 (PowerPoint,
- Slobodan Stipic and Martin Dimitrov: THE (PowerPoint,
- Luke Levesque: NMS (PowerPoint, PDF)
- Scott Roffman and Chuck Ahern: MULTICS (PowerPoint,
- Vikas S Tambde: MATH (PowerPoint, PDF)
- Arun Krishnamurthy: Micro-Kernels (PowerPoint,
- Shufang Wu: Exokernels (PowerPoint,
- Hao Cheng and Alex Aved: Lions Chapter 5 (PowerPoint,
- Wade Spires: Lions Chapter 6 and 7 (PowerPoint, PDF)
- Aasavari Bhave and Manjula Babladi: Lions Chapter 9 and 10 (PowerPoint,
- Adam Schwarz and Stuart Hostler: Lions Chapter 8 and 11 (PowerPoint,
- Dahai Guo and Hua Zhang: Lions Chapter 12 (PowerPoint,
- Saad Ali and Fahd Rafi: Lions Chapter 13 and 21 (PowerPoint,
- Mikel Rodriguez and Rupesh Jain: Lions Chapter 14 and 15 (PowerPoint,
- Pavel Babenko and Michael Buchoff: Lions Chapter 16 and 17 (PowerPoint,
- Sean Mondesire and Subramanian Subramanian: FFS (PowerPoint,
- Gautami Shihatti and Anuirban Bag: Lions Chapters 18 &19 & UNIX
paper (PowerPoint, PDF)
- Mohamed Saad Laassel and Alex Katchourine: HYDRA (PowerPoint,
- Christian Diercks and Rajarshi Chakraborty: LogFile (PowerPoint,
Suggested Reading List
- 2/8/05: Chaper 3: Fundamental Laws. The book by Lazowska et al.
- 2/8/05: Paper: The Operational Analysis
of Queueing Network Models
- Project Description (Word, PDF)
- Data Structures of OS Simulator
- Project Readme File (steps to download relavant softwares) (Word,
- Project Presentations
- Project Directions
Updated on Wednesday, March 30, 2005
Send comments or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org