UCF’s Information Technology Program is proud to offer an internship program for IT students. We are actively soliciting UCF Information Technology students that are interested in participating. Additionally, we are soliciting companies and organizations interested in hiring student interns.
Intern n: an advanced student or graduate gaining supervised practical experience
– Webster’s Dictionary
- Internships are three-way partnerships between the student intern, the educational institution, and the host organization where the student intern takes on the challenge of a program of systematic experiential learning.
- The people who supervise interns at their professional worksites are busy people. They want to help their interns succeed, but they have limited time and resources to support their interns or to invest in becoming professional intern mentors.
Internships are a Win-Win-Win Proposition!
Benefits to the Student, University, and Employer
- The student’s educational experience is enriched. Internship projects provide exposure to problems and learning that can’t be learned in a classroom
- Students strengthen their resumes and experiences for future employment
- The University is able to broaden the learning experience for IT students and extend its service to the community
- Employers receive a Junior or Senior IT student who has the ability to contribute immediately and provide employers an opportunity to evaluate the intern as a prospective future employee over a 12-15 week timeframe.
- CGS494 IT Internship counts as one 3-credit-hour IT Restricted Elective course
- Interns will be enrolled in CGS4941 IT Internship and charged UCF tuition and fees
- Interns typically work 10-20 hours per week and are paid hourly
- Projects are planned to last one semester (12-15 weeks)
- Interns complete several short online assignments during the semester they are interning
- Students are responsible for applying and interviewing for their own internship position
Mandatory Prerequisite Requirements
- Must be declared as a Information Technology major to apply
- Junior/Senior standing with a cumulative UCF GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have successfully completed all of the following prerequisite courses:
- CGS 2545 Database Concepts
- CIS 3003 Fundamentals of Information Technology
- COP 3330 Object Oriented Programming
- COP 3502c Computer Science 1
- MAD 2104 or COT3100 Foundations of Discrete Math
- Availability to work off campus and possess reliable transportation
How to Find an IT Internship
All IT Internship positions that your instructor is notified about are promptly posted in Handshake, UCF Experiential Learning’s career management tool. Of course, there are many additional IT internship positions that never get advertised. Use your personal network and your professional network of contacts to find additional internship opportunities. Post that you are “seeking an IT internship” on your LinkedIn profile headline and ensure your LinkedIn profile is compete and matches the information and dates listed on your résumé. Many companies post their internship positions on their company’s jobs, career opportunities, or human resources website.
If you would like assistance in locating a suitable IT Internship, please make an Appointment to virtually meet with Madhvi Acharya at UCF Experiential Learning through your Handshake account or by calling 407-823-2667. UCF Experiential Learning maintains a list of companies who regularly hire UCF IT Interns and may be able to suggest companies with positions that match your skills and interests. UCF Experiential Learning can also assist with critiquing your résumé, cover letter, and prepare you for virtual as well as in-person interviews.
How to Apply for the CGS4941 IT Internship
If you meet ALL the Mandatory Prerequisite Requirements, have accepted an internship position, and wish to receive academic credit towards your IT degree, please fill out the IT Internship Student Interest Form and submit it based on this chart:
|Which Semester do you wish to Intern?||Earliest Day to submit Student Interest Form:||Last Day to submit Student Interest Form:|
|Fall Semester Internship||June 1st||1st Day of Fall semester|
|Spring Semester Internship||September 1st||1st Day of Spring semester|
|Summer Semester Internship||February 1st||1st Day of Summer semester|
Interested companies and organizations, please visit our Companies page for more information.