CS MS Program in Bioinformatics
A total of at least 30 semester hours of credit at the 5000 and 6000 level of Computer Science courses. At least half of these credits (15) must be at the 6000 level, and under no circumstances can they contain CXX 7919 (Doctoral Research) credit, undergraduate credit, or 5000 level CGS courses.
Total Required Hours for MS – 30 Credit Hours Minimum beyond the Bachelor’s Degree
Required Courses – 15 Credit Hours
- CDA 5106 Advanced Computer Architecture (3 credit hours)
- COT 5405 Design and Analysis of Algorithms (3 credit hours)
- CAP 5510 Introduction to Bioinformatics (3 credit hours)
- CAP 6515 Algorithms in Computational Biology (3 credit hours)
- CAP 6645 Machine Learning in Bioinformatics (3 credit hours)
Restricted Electives – 6 Credit Hours
Restricted electives must include six credits at the 5000 and 6000 level from the following bioinformatics courses:
- COT 6417 Algorithms on Strings and Sequences (3 credit hours)
- CAP 6517 Computational Genomics (3 credit hours)
- CAP 6XXX Data Mining in Bioinformatics (3 credit hours)
- CAP 6XXX Computational Systems Biology (3 credit hours)
- PCB 5596 Biomedical Informatics: Sequence Analysis (3 credit hours)
- BSC 5436 Biomedical Informatics: Structure Analysis (3 credit hours)
Additional credits will normally be taken from 5000 and 6000 level Computer Science
courses. Approval may be granted for 6 credit hours at the most to be taken from
graduate courses outside Computer Science. Such approval needs to occur prior to taking
these outside courses.
Directed Research – 3 to 6 Credit Hours
XXX 6918 (3 to 6 credit hours)
The students are encouraged to take 3 to 6 credit hours of directed research with one of the bioinformatics faculty.