I am an Assistant Professor in the department of computer science at University of Central Florida. Before joining UCF, I have worked as a Research Scientist/PostDoc in
the School of Computational Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute o f
Technology, Atlanta with Prof. Srinivas Aluru and in the Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Canada with Prof. J. Ian Munro. My Ph.D. is in Computer Science from Louisiana State University (Spring 2014),
supervised of Prof. Rahul Shah. My Bachelor degree is in EEE from National Institute of Technology Calicut, India.
My research interests are in the areas of algorithms and data structures. In addition to fundamental problems, I have worked on problems that have direct applications
in app lied fields, such as computational biology, information retrieval, and computational geometry. During the course of this research, I have successfully collaborated nationally and
internationally, and published articles in journals like Journal of ACM, Algorithemica, Journal of Computational Biology, etc and peer-reviewed conferences like SODA, RECOMB, Super Computing (SC),
SIGIR, Data Comp ression, etc. Currently I am working on several problems in the following areas:
- High Performance Computational Biology
- Succinct/Compressed Data Structures for Text Indexing, Searching and Retrieval
- Sketching and Streaming Algorithms for Pattern Matching
- Geometric Range Query Data Structures
The complete list of my publications can be found in DBLP or Google Scholar.
- Arnab Ganguly, Rahul Shah, and Sharma V. Thankachan: pBWT: Achieving Succinct Data Structures for Parameterized Pattern Matching, and Related Problem
s. 28th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), 2017 [pdf].
- Sriram P. Chockalingam, Sharma V. Thankachan, Srinivas Aluru: A parallel algorithm for finding all pairs k-mismatch maximal common
substrings. International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (Super Computing, SC), 2016 [link].
- Srinivas Aluru, Alberto Apostolico, Sharma V. Thankachan: Efficient Alignment Free Sequence Comparison with Bounded Mismatches. 19th Annual
I nternational Conference in Research in Computational Molecular Biology (RECOMB), 2015 [link].
- Wing-Kai Hon, Rahul Shah, Sharma V. Thankachan, Jeffrey Scott Vitter: Space-Efficient Frameworks for Top-k String Retrieval. Journal of the
ACM (JACM), 61(2), 2014 [pdf].
- Manish Patil, Sharma V. Thankachan, Rahul Shah, Wing-Kai Hon, Jeffrey Scott Vitter, Sabrina Chandrasekaran: Inverted indexes for phrases and strings.
34th International ACM Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR), 2011 [pdf].
COT 6410: Computational Complexity (Spring 2017)
- Program Committee Member: HiPC 2017 (24th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing,
Data, and Analytics).
- Program Committee Member: BCB 2017 (ACM International Conference on Bioinformatics, Comput ational Biology,
and Health Informatics).
- Program Committee Member: HiCOMB 2017 (16th IEEE International Workshop on High Performance Computati
- Program Committee Member: HiCOMB 2016 (15th IEEE International Workshop on High Performanc e
- Program Committee Member: BigDF 2016 (IEEE International Workshop on Foundations of Big
- Program Committee Member: CPM 2016 (27th Annual Symposium on Combinatorial Patter n