3360: Security in Computing (Online Session)
Home Lecture notes Assignment
Programming project 1: Manually send a spam email
(Due date: late night Mar. 2nd, i.e., 3AM on Mar. 3rd)
(TA: Dmytro Dondyk, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
In this simple assignment, you will need to use telnet to manually send a spam (faked) email to a special-created gmail account: "email@example.com". From this experiment, you will understand why there are so many untrusted email around and how easy for attackers to send out spam or phishing email.
Please follow the in-class illustration (lecture 13) to send this faked email. In order to make these assignment email not be treated as the other spam email, you must follow the following specifications:
1. The sender email address must be "fake@", you can use any domain name in the sender email address EXCEPT domains belonging to UCF (i.e., do not use cs.ucf.edu, eecs.ucf.edu, knights.ucf.edu, or longwood.eecs.ucf.edu).
2. The email must have a subject line as "CIS3360:
firstname lastname". Put your name in the subject line so that
you can be credited. Otherwise I cannot tell who send this
3. The email must have a "from: ..." and the "to:
...." field. These two fields are displayed when you read an
email. You can put whatever text you want on these two fields.
4. Put in some words in the content. Must be at least two lines.
You can type in two "rcpt to:" to include your own email
address for verification in the second "rcpt to". Because EECS
email server support relay within campus, so you can use this
server to send email to any email address (of course you can
only do this relay if you are inside campus network, either
after setting up your campus VPN, or if you do the telnet from
EECS eustis.eecs.ucf.edu machine).
If you have never logged in to eustis.eecs.ucf.edu before,
then your username is your NID and the default password is: the
first initial of your lastname in uppercase and the last 5
digits of your PID. Please send email to
you have trouble to log in this machine. If you have been given
account on this machine before, then please use your old
1. You need to send this spam email
and submit your report via webcourse before the due date/time.
2. submit a brief report showing your telnet interaction steps. You MUST copy the screenshot image in your report showing the interaction steps when you create this spam. A simple text showing the interaction is not good enough.
Grade will be provided via webCourse.